I can’t wait for this Sunday. It’s literally my favorite day of the year. Why? Because the New York Times Magazine’s Year in Ideas issue is going to arrive at my doorstep! (I know, that’s a very nerdy reason for a day to be one’s favorite, but what can I say…I love ideas!) The NYT issue is apparently the 10th annual, but it also serves another important annual role: inspiring the creation of the Prosperity Blog’s 2nd annual “Big Ideas” post!
To quote from last year’s, we here at the Prosperity Blog have also had a good year of ideas, generating all sorts of practical proposals for improving our region’s business climate and competitiveness. But, of course, we have also had lots of impractical, sky’s-the-limit ideas that we hope someone is going to take and run with and make all our dreams come true. So, for all you good-idea-awaiting folks out there, here’s a summary…presented in Top Ten format:
10) Using tolling to help the east King County arts community
7) Becoming the center for everything “unmanned” (plus getting people to refer to “green” unmanned aerial vehicles as GUAVAs)
6) Identifying lots of clever ways to get around the state’s “lending of credit” prohibition
5) Building stronger economic development links between our region and the state’s agriculture industry
4) Applying philanthropy to economic development activity
3) Building the STEM degree pipeline by doing a better job of encouraging girls’ interest in science (possibly by using cheerleaders or rockstars)
1) Building a BETI Demonstration Network (obviously)
Let’s do them all in 2011!